Monday, May 27, 2013

An empty crib



Before
 

After
 
 
 
To most these are just before and after photos.  To us this was a major step in our journey. 

Two cribs.  That’s the way things were meant to be. We needed two cribs to fill with two babies. Our sweet baby Eden didn’t get to use her crib.  Eden never came home, she never used her crib.  We spent 26 months staring at one empty crib.  We couldn’t bring ourselves to take Eden’s crib down. The symbolism felt too scary.  We didn’t think we’d ever be ready.  That doesn’t mean we were ready today it just means we were able to do it.  As we removed bedding and screws we were silent.  Reagan’s chatter of one thousand questions filled the air but Scott and I were silent.  Tears filled my eyes but I looked at Reagan and smiled.  She is so amazing and makes the pain more bearable.  We miss Eden every day and we will never forget her.  Our journey is long and never ends but step by step we slowly cope. 

You may know a family like us.  One who has lost a child.  You may wonder why they are still sad or why they still celebrate birthdays.  You may wonder but don’t judge.  This journey is our own, no one can tell us how to do it or question the process.  Different families do this journey differently.  The one thing you can do is to love them. 

1 comment:

  1. I am struggling with words after reading this post, because in all honesty, as much as I want to offer comfort to you, I cannot think of what to say.

    What a painful and difficult moment this must have been for you and Scott. I am so truly sad that you had to endure it.

    Amanda, Jesus Himself is love. And by your witness and your faith, you are proclaiming Truth.

    The girls' room is beautiful - yes, the GIRLS' room, because that is what it will always be.

    I wish I could hug you and pray with you in person. God bless you. May the Mother of God - the Mother of us all - join us in our prayers. She endured immeasurable pain for her child, too.

    And that child, the Son of Man - He loves your family, beyond all imagining.

    ReplyDelete