I was afraid of this day, this question. I realize that in the scheme of things it's not a huge deal but I just didn't want her to ask.
"Mommy, why doesn't everyone else have glasses. Why am I the only one?"
It's not just about the question, it's about the true meaning- I'm different. Reagan is truly amazing but some people may say different. Born at 2 lbs 5 oz makes you different, having Bronchopulmonary Dysplsia makes you different, having a hole in your tummy from your feeding tube makes you different and glasses makes you different from the rest of the kids.
I think most parents would agree that they want the very best for their kids. They want them to have friends and be social with the rest of the kids. The very best we can do though is to show them how to love, how to be accepting and how to be strong.
I wore glasses, really, really thick glasses. I was not pretty or popular during school. I had older, out of style clothes. It was hard. I was different. And I'm sure I asked my mom why I was the only one. And I'm sure as a parent her heart ached the same as mine when she heard that question.
Reagan is incredibly beautiful and strong and I love her more than the world itself and if some people want to call that different than OK. What we're doing is to show her how much she's loved, we tell her every day. We kiss, hug and cuddle every day. We spend time with her- not just in the same room on our phone time but actual sitting on the floor playing pretend making ice cream flavors. We tell her how much God loves her and he made her exactly how he wanted to.
I think that I will still be afraid of these questions but all of the amazing things that make Reagan who she is far exceeds one little question about glasses. To show her that it's OK to be a glasses wearer, I'm wearing mine today. I never wear them to work but I am today.
You are a wonderful mama, Amanda. Yes, Reagan will have many questions about her "differences," but you are giving her the most important answer - that she is the daughter of a Heavenly King, loved and perfect in His sight. God bless you. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteYou are so sweet Jessica. Thank you!
Delete